Re: [exim] Absent username and "Failed to get user name for …

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Absent username and "Failed to get user name for uid"
Henry Pootel via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Di 15 Sep 2020 11:27:48 CEST):
> I've some php scripts which start by uid without username and send
> mails. (It's not a spam.)
>
> exim panic and say "Failed to get user name for uid 2045 ..."
> Yes, the uid has not a user name in /etc/passwd.

As far as I understand, Exim uses the NSS framework (libresolv (or whatever name it has))
to resolve userids, usernames, and such. So, if you manage to setup your
NSS in a way which provides the proper username for a numerical ID, Exim
should be happy.

You can use `getent passwd 2045` for checks. I believe, you can't
configure this NSS framework on a per-process base (except using
containers so such).

The simpler approach is what Cyborg recommended.

--
Heiko