Re: [exim] SMTP timeout after pipelined end of data (5334 by…

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users, Jeremy Harris
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP timeout after pipelined end of data (5334 bytes written), hang at DAT 7247 LAST. Local_scan vs chunking issue?
On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 10:48:27AM +0200, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:
> > Sounds like a known (and fixed) issue to me. I'll try to find any
> > reference.
>
> This may be fixed in 8f9adfd36222d4e9e730734e00dffe874073e5b4
> This commit is currently only part of master and exim-4.94+fixes
>
> If I remember well and if you really hit this bug, I believe, disabling
> pipelining would mitigate it.

That was going to be my next thing to try :)

> In case the Debian Exim package maintainer is willing, we can help
> providing a backport of the above mentioned commit.

I can start looking in the source to see if that's in the latest
package.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 05:15:28PM +0100, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
> >> Marc MERLIN via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Do 10 Sep 2020 21:24:51 CEST):
>
> Note that Buster, at least, is showing 4.92-8+deb10u4

Yes. I only update exim (or anything) when I have to, due to how many
times I've been burned by upgrades that broke me in various ways. In the
case of the now half maintained sa-exim which I still use (yes, I suck,
I'm the original author, but I moved on to other things), I also have to
be careful as newer exim can break sa-exim.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look for the best solution depending on
whether that patch is in a debian package, or not.
if not, I'll read the docs on how to disable pipelining on my backup MX.

Thanks,
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/