[exim] Microsoft MUAs on port 587

Author: Mark Elkins
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Microsoft MUAs on port 587
Hi,

In the distribution template config file for exim
(/etc/exim/exim.conf.dist),  around line 200, I read...

# In order to support roaming users who wish to send email from anywhere,
# you may want to make Exim listen on other ports as well as port 25, in
# case these users need to send email from a network that blocks port 25.
# The standard port for this purpose is port 587, the "message submission"
# port. See RFC 4409 for details. *Microsoft MUAs cannot be configured to**
**# talk the message submission protocol correctly,* so if you need to
support
# them you should also allow TLS-on-connect on the traditional but
# non-standard port 465.

Is this still true of Microsoft MUAs ??
Only time I've seen this recently is when an Apple owner insists on
using Microsoft mail as their MUA - and not for a while.

I've been telling people to use and configuring Mail Submission on port
587 for years now on Microsoft machines.

--

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje@??? Tel: +27.826010496 <tel:+27826010496>