Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 194, Issue 5

Author: Jürgen Edner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 194, Issue 5
Hi Jeremy,

>> # 1. for listeners on port 25/tcp and 587/tcp
>> #    daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : submission
>> /usr/sbin/exim -bd -q20m -om -oP /var/run/exim.pid

>> # 2. for a listener on port 465/tcp
>> /usr/sbin/exim -bd -q20m -om -tls-on-connect -oX ssmtp -oP
>> /var/run/exim-ssmtp.pid
>
> From the two command lines I don't see why you need separate
> instances for your starttls and tls-on-connect services.
> Using only one would be the preferred option, and is common
> practice for that combination.
>
> The only other possibility is to avoid using the -oP option on the 465
> daemon.
>
> I guess this is really a bug, but unless you (or someone) gives a
> good need for multiple daemons it's low priority.

thank you for giving me a broad hint. I've never questioned
myself if there is a differnet way to solve the problem after
I'd created my initial server configuration years ago.
I've now solved the problem by simply setting/modifying these
two parameters:

daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : submission : ssmtp
tls_on_connect_ports = ssmtp

Cheers
Juergen

--