Re: [exim] option -MCd

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] option -MCd
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 20:17:55 +0100, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
<exim-users@???> wrote:
>On 30/06/2020 16:01, Marc Haber via Exim-users wrote:
>> Is this the possible cause of the issue showing up on at least three
>> Debian systems since we upgraded to exim 4.94?
>
>It does sound plausible that it is related.
>
>How was the message given exim - command-line or smtp?

SMTP. /usr/lib/sendmail is not affected, cron messages go through
fine.

>Was it first given to exim before, or after, the suspend/resume?

Probably between two suspends, my personal notebook gets
suspended/resumed multiple times a day.

>How long was the suspend?

Somewhere many hours and a few seconds.

>How long did you wait, in the hung-at-final-dot condition, before
>using pkill?

The SMTP client times out after a few minutes. I have had processes in
this state for more than two hours.

>An experiment of a short suspend, and waiting for longer than that,
>would be of interest - assuming the issue can be created on demand.

You mean like

- reboot
- suspend for like a minute
- deliver a message
- wait for two minutes

maybe?

>I'm not a regular user of suspend myself, and don't trust it to
>function well enough on this system. If you can easily repro and
>are prepared to build & test variants, this would be useful.
>Even just disbling the CLOCK_MONOTONIC code would be a good step.

I think I can do that. It's definetely an exim issue, older versions
of exim work just fine.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |