Re: [exim] allow alias file to include aliases from another …

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] allow alias file to include aliases from another file
On 29/06/2020 20:44, Jason Keltz via Exim-users wrote:
>>     If an item is of the form
>>
>>     :include:<path name>
>>
>>     a list of further items is taken from the given file and included
>>     at that point. Note: Such a file can not be a filter file; it is
>>     just an out-of-line addition to the list. The items in the
>>     included list are separated by commas or newlines and are not
>>     subject to expansion. If this is the first item in an alias list
>>     in an lsearch file, a colon must be used to terminate the alias
>>     name. This example is incorrect:
>>
>>     list1    :include:/opt/lists/list1
>>
>>     It must be given as
>>
>>     list1:   :include:/opt/lists/list1
>>
>>     Tainted data may not be used for a filename.
>>
> I can use the third form (last1: :include:/opt/lists/list1) in my
> /etc/aliases file.  However, I cannot use the first form:
>
> :include:/etc/aliases.alternate
>
> Am I misinterpreting the instruction?

It depends on how you are obtaining this list item. The item itself
takes the "first form". If you are doing an lsearch to get the item,
then the line in the file for lsearch (which needs both a key to
search for, and the data to be returned) needs to terminate the
key with a colon.

If you are not using an lsearch then "third form" is not relevant.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy