Re: [exim] Looking for an example

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Looking for an example
Prior to moving our main mail service to G Suite, we used Exim's *ratelimit* to
keep an eye on the rate of messages being sent by people who weren't on our
campus IP address range. Because they'd had to authenticate to Exim I used
the authenticating username as the key for the rate limiting.

When the rate started getting high over a suitable period it would start
freezing messages and logging warning lines that a separate process
monitoring the mainlog would then bleat to us about.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the rate thresholds were, but
it was something like 500 messages per 30 minutes. Our feeling was that
someone working away from site was unlikely to be sending that number of
messages that quickly unless they were a spammer. On-campus source IP
addresses were exempt as these might be, for example, database systems
sending out bulk emails to staff or students.

The combination of the freezing along with the mainlog monitoring process
(which blasted an alert email to a set of sysadmins) proved very helpful in
spotting compromised accounts. And in the event of a false positive the
frozen messages could then be released.

Cheers,
Mike B-)