Re: [exim] Upcoming Glibc changes and DANE support in Exim, …

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Upcoming Glibc changes and DANE support in Exim, Postfix, and perhaps other MTAs
On 22/04/2020 00:14, Phil Pennock via Exim-users wrote:
> (Otherwise I'd have already just coded up independently the exact same
> fix you have used for Postfix)
>
> This also though means that _building_ an Exim binary has to be done on
> the system with the newer glibc, because binaries can't be forward
> compatible. We need `RES_TRUSTAD` to be defined.

We could offer both options, using "known, builtin" value for the flags
when they are not defined in system headers on the build platform, and
just document the whole sorry issue and leave it to the sysadmin to
worry about and get wrong?

Though what I, with sysadmin hat on, would have to do then is:
define both options, and hope.

I'm pretty annoyed with the glibc guys.

(Someone on IRC has, they think, now run into this).
--
Cheers,
Jeremy