Re: [exim] What process are changing the rights of all files…

Author: Mike Tubby
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] What process are changing the rights of all files to Debian-exim?
I do not recognise this problem on Debian, Ubuntu or Devuan ?

On all three OS I remove the OS installed exim4-demon-light,
exim4-daemon-heavy etc. packages, purge the system and by hand remove
debian-exim from /etc/group and /etc/passwd so that the system ends up
totally void of packaged Exim.

I then add a system group called 'exim' with GID=169 and a system user
called 'exim' that is UID=169, GID=169.

Then I fetch the Exim tarball from ftp.exim.org, and build
'build-essential' plus all the standard libraries that Exim requires.

I patch /root/exim/exim-4.93.xx/Local/Makefile with my preferences (that
include stating the user/group as my 'exim') and compile and install.

Everything works as expected.

I have had problems in mixed environments with both OS packaged Exim
(needing debian-exim user) and my local exim at the same time, but not
if I have performed a 'clean build'.

HTH

Mike