Re: [exim] ARC signing and verification

Author: Tom Crane
To: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
CC: Tom Crane
Subject: Re: [exim] ARC signing and verification
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

> On 23/04/2020 19:49, Tom Crane via Exim-users wrote:
>> now getting an Authentication-Results: header
>> added to the top of the message containing the server's FQDN and
>> "arc=none".
>
> So, one step forward at least.
>
> Did the incoming message have any ARC headers to be verified? If not,
> the "arc=none" is what you expect.

No. None of the test messages I sent to the exim server had any ARC
headers. There are one or two sites which send messages here which are
ARC signed but do so infrequently, so not ideal for testing.

> You might consider doing dkim and/or spf verification too; the
> result would also be included in the ${authresults } expansion.

I wondered about this but DKIM verification is already turned on, and is
on by default (eg. section 58.1 of the Exim Book). My college's Central
IT email service (O365), which I mainly use for testing my exim server
does not DKIM sign messages but does DKIM+SPF verification on email from
outside which causes a variety of problems and seems a weird
configuration to me... but I am digressing.

Regards
Tom