Re: [exim] Problem with iPhone and Exim

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users, Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problem with iPhone and Exim
Luca Bertoncello via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Di 25 Feb 2020 16:25:03 CET):
> I have the problem with lucabert.de, too, but it is now not interesting,
> since it is my private server and no one use iPhone, here...
>
> > I wouldn't expect all mailclients understanding and handling this well.
> And I really don't understand what you mean... :(

I meant that your server uses a multiline response,

    220-… ESMTP
    220 …

which is fine for ESMTP, but not for SMTP. When your server issues
the banner, it can't know if the client is able to speak/understand
ESMTP. The server can announce it (via "EMSTP" string on the banner)
and the client has to agree withing (using EHLO instead of HELO).

But, as I now learned from another mail in this thread, the recent iOS
based mail clients shouldn't have a problem with this. But anyway, it'd
give it a try, use a simple *single* line banner.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann