[exim] Line length RFC issues

Author: Paul Tansom
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Line length RFC issues
I've sorted out the specific Exim configuration changes for this, but it
hasn't completely sorted out the problem, so in the hope (all be it
small) that there is something else I can do with Exim to help, or given
that this is likely a place where people will be familiar with the issue
I thought I'd ask here.

Basically I get the occasional message returned with the error:

550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets, got 1012

I've made the adjustment (in Debian speak) of adding:

dc_IGNORE_SMTP_LINE_LENGTH_LIMIT='true'

to my update-exim4.conf.conf, but unfortunately there are other mail
servers on the internet that enforce this (who knew!). The client is
Outlook 2007 (yes, painfully old, but still compatible with Windows 10
for now, so not due to be upgraded yet sadly). The problem seems to be
down to too many attachments making the line length too large, so a work
around is to send multiple emails.

Does anyone know of anything that Exim can do to modify the message as
it is routed through (possibly not a brilliant idea even if it is
technically possible), or a way to get Outlook to send messages properly
(that doesn't, for now, involve an upgrade).

Ironically it looks like an Exchange server at the other end that is, in
the case I've found the logs for, bouncing the mails back, but I'm not
going to be able to get them to change, even if it is just this one
recipient domain.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001
Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: Ralls House,