Re: [exim] sending e-mail through a directnic server [RESOLV…

Author: i6ghhisdw4rrkmgrjgzmjr
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] sending e-mail through a directnic server [RESOLVED]
Hi,

On 18/12/19 2:54 pm, Gary Dale via Exim-users wrote:
> I finally figured it out by checking an error message that I'm getting
> in the exim4 log lately. Apparently Exim4 keeps some files in
> /var/spool/exim4/db that were keeping e-mail from even attempting to be
> sent. Clearing the directory allowed mail to proceed.

Was it a problem with retry period not yet reached for the domain?

If you try to send emails repeatedly and they fail, then they are put
back in the queue to try again later -- if delivery problems arise, the
time before retrying is extended so that it doesn't keep trying to hit
the server that it couldn't send to again and again and again (too often).

That is... let's say the remote server had some problems, then your
server would retry, but give up and extend the retry period.

# cat /etc/exim4/conf.d/retry/30_exim4-config

### retry/30_exim4-config
#################################

# This single retry rule applies to all domains and all errors. It specifies
# retries every 15 minutes for 2 hours, then increasing retry intervals,
# starting at 1 hour and increasing each time by a factor of 1.5, up to 16
# hours, then retries every 6 hours until 4 days have passed since the first
# failed delivery.

# Please note that these rules only limit the frequency of retries, the
# effective retry-time depends on the frequency of queue-running, too.
# See QUEUEINTERVAL in /etc/default/exim4.

# Address or Domain    Error       Retries

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

Kind Regards
AndrewM