Re: [exim] sending e-mail through a directnic server

Author: Gary Dale
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] sending e-mail through a directnic server
On 2019-11-27 10:04 a.m., Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gary Dale via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mi 27 Nov 2019 10:21:18 CST):
>> mail from: sendmail@???
>> 250 OK
>> rcpt to: sendmail@???
>> 250 Accepted
>> data
>> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>> from: sendmail@???
>> to: gary@???, garydale@???
>> Date: 26 Nov 2019 20:59:00 -0500
>> subject: test message from s_client with 2 recipients
>> another test message - with a date possibly.
>> .
>> 250 OK id=1iZmbP-005vB9-E0
>> DONE
>>
>> The mail doesn't get to either "to:" address but does show up in the "rcpt
>> to:" inbox.
> Yes, it is exactly as mail is supposed to work. The SMTP RCPT TO is the
> address, the mail system will deliver the message to (call it the
> "envelope"). The To: line is part of the message, a mail system should
> not care about the message (to a limited extend).
>
>> From the above, I gather that I have the correct names, ports and
>> credentials. However I'm not able to send mail. It just sits in my server's
>> mailq.
> I do not understand. Above you stated, the mail shows up in the rcpt
> to's inbox (the envelope recipient's inbox). No you're telling us, that
> it sits in the queue. I'm lost.

Different servers. When I use s_client to connect to the remote server,
I get mail. When I send it from my local exim4 server, I don't.

>> Here's my update-exim4.conf.conf file.
>>
>> dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
>> dc_other_hostnames='molar.rossland.dental'
>> dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1 ; ::1'
>> dc_readhost=''
>> dc_relay_domains=''
>> dc_minimaldns='false'
>> dc_relay_nets=''
>> dc_smarthost='mail.rossland.dental::465'
>> CFILEMODE='644'
>> dc_use_split_config='false'
>> dc_hide_mailname='false'
>> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
>> dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
> I'm not sure, if Exim is meanwhile able to use SMTPS (TLS-on-connect) as
> a client. As a server, it does, but as a client?
>
> Ah, the spec tells me, it does. There is a SMTP transport option
> "protocol", it may be set to "smtps".
>
> So, you'll need to fiddle with your configuration (or with the Debian
> provided config files) to use the "protocol" option. Or - try if
> molar.rossland.dental allow submission on port 587.

I had thought that was required only if the "Connection security" (to
use Thunderbird's terminology was STARTTLS. However I followed the
instructions at
https://dantalion.nl/en/configure-exim4-smtp-relay-to-use-tls-on-connect/
to set up smtps but that failed also. The test message sent by swaks (in
the testing section of the howto) again simply sits in the mailq.

I followed the instructions exactly, which apart from the config
settings, also requires setting the .template file to include a couple
of lines as follows:

remote_smtp_smarthost:
  debug_print = "T: remote_smtp_smarthost for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = smtp
*  hosts_require_tls = mail.rossland.dental**
**  protocol = smtps**
*  multi_domain

Still no joy in Mudville.