Re: [exim] named hostlists limit

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] named hostlists limit
On 16 Oct 2019, at 11:36, Odhiambo Washington via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> I am getting this error and wondered why the limit is imposed.
> I have 21 hostlist definitions.

From https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-domain_host_address_and_local_part_lists.html

"By default, there may be up to 16 named lists of each type. This limit can be extended by changing a compile-time variable.”

In the default EDITME (which becomes Local/Makefile when you edit it) we have:

# The maximum number of named lists of each type (address, domain, host, and
# local part) can be increased by changing this value. It should be set to
# a multiple of 16.

# MAX_NAMED_LIST=16

So… change that & recompile.

In terms of why… it’s been like that since the very first commit message from 2004. I’d suggest it’s related to platform limitations of the time!

Graeme