Re: [exim] Edge case - space separated list objects

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Edge case - space separated list objects
On 30 Sep 2019, at 17:21, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> No; whitespace is special around list elements (Ch 6, section 20) so
> there would be Issues in handling space as a separator.

Yes, I expected as much; I was pitching for something I may have missed but I hadn't. So...

> If you're happy there won't be any adjacent spaces, just
> ${listcount:${tr {Fred J Bloggs}{ }{:}}}

That's the alternative way (although I'll most likely use a different separator as we have occasional display names with colons in!).

> - however, for this untrusted data, perhaps tidying it up by
> taking the tr result and using filter with a condition for
> nonempty, would be wise.

It's being pre-processed already to remove quite a lot (honorifics, for example, company names, things in brackets) so by the time it gets to this point it should ideally be just names and/or initials - and it won't be empty, but thanks for the reminder.

Ta

Graeme