Re: [exim] RFC: submission mode should strip BCC header?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Heiko Schlittermann
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] RFC: submission mode should strip BCC header?
Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Do 26 Sep 2019 14:43:25 EDT):
> Bouncing and forwarding let you send an existing message to recipients that you
> specify. Bouncing a message sends a verbatim copy of a message to alternative
> addresses as if they were the message's original recipients specified in the
> Bcc header. Forwarding a message, on the other hand, allows you to modify the
> message before it is resent (for example, by adding your own comments).
> Bouncing is done using the <bounce> function and forwarding using the <forward>
> function bound to “b” and “f” respectively.

Yes, I use b and f accordingly.

> The "bounce" function promtps only for a list of addresses, so it seems
> strange to add Bcc contents implicitly.

That's my point. Of course, one can understand "resend" as really
"resend as it is".

> So, Mutt has several functions with different functionality. Function
> "resend-message" allows to edit headers, it handles Bcc properly.

Yes, bouncing is not forwarding. Some MUA used the term "redirect" for
bouncing. Generally, most users do not even know what "bouncing" a
message is. And, yes, "redirecting" seems to better wording, as
"bouncing" reminds mit to a bounce (empty sender).

But, let's stick with the term bounce for now. The BCC shouln't be on
any incoming message. And if, than it is not our job to remove it.

When providing submission service, we should protect the user from his
own stupidity, misbehaving software and the admin's lazinesd :)

… to become a comfortable MTA :)

--
Heiko