Re: [exim] New compromise...?

Author: Sebastian Nielsen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] New compromise...?
Yeah. Both of them is good.
First have a base restriction that locks an account to a specific country. Then use a ratelimit to further restrict inside the country.
Could be a good idea to have different ratelimits for /32, /24 and /16, so /16 has very strict ratelimit (only like 4 different per 24h), 24 has a bit sloppier (like 1 change per hour) and /32 has the sloppiest like 6 changes per hour.

But I would say the risk of compromise is much very lower when you GeoIP restrict to countries.

The base restriction is important, because if a attacker finds valid credentials, they will keep them, even when the ratelimit is hit. They will just try later.
Thats why its important to have a strict ratelimit locked to country.

For travelling, you could have that the customer/user has to call helpdesk and ask for travel access to a specific country for a specific duration.
Or even a self service portal where you login with 2FA and then unlock your mail account for a specific country ("travel mode") for a max period of, lets say 1 month. After that, you cannot activate travel mode any more for 5 months.