Re: [exim] Content scanning and non-MIME messages

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Content scanning and non-MIME messages
On 2019-09-24 09:08, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> Don't try to be too clever, it'll break later. Use the interfaces
> provided.

If I use the malware condition, I have to write a whole program to
handle the other end. I have a choice:

- Write in in C, and deal with the usual memory management nightmare and
the constant danger of buffer owerflows.

- Write it in some higher level language and pay the penalty of starting
up the complex runtime for every message (and even for every MIME part
if I really take your admonishment to heart).

- Write a socket server and deal with a whole different set of
challenges involving concurrency.

I'd much rather continue doing what I do now in the MIME acl, namely
pass the file name [1] into a dlexpand module, which can use all the
excellent features of Exim runtime, especially convenient and robust
memory allocation.

[1] In the case of the MIME acl, the file name is in
$mime_decoded_filename. But how can I have the _body_ in a file with a
well defined name in data acl? That is the "Pudels Kern".