[exim] no EHLO after STARTTLS (was: CVE-2019-15846: Exim - l…

Author: Wolfgang Breyha
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] no EHLO after STARTTLS (was: CVE-2019-15846: Exim - local or remote attacker can execute programs with root privileges)
Phil Pennock via Exim-users wrote on 07/09/2019 03:16:
> To the best of my knowledge, that has never blocked legitimate mail.
> Everyone does EHLO after STARTTLS.

I was wondering how many connection would be blocked in my setup with this ACL
in place... according to my logs from last August I see <20 empty HELOs out of
~1M connections a day.

All those up to 20 fail to transmit their SPAM due to other oddities
(primarily no PTR).

Have you seen spambots that fail due to this specific ACL with high numbers in
the past/currently?

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha@???> | https://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria