Re: [exim] CVE-2019-15846: Exim - local or remote attacker c…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] CVE-2019-15846: Exim - local or remote attacker can execute programs with root privileges
Sebastian Nielsen via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Fr 06 Sep 2019 20:50:37 CEST):
> Shouldn't this be in connect ACL?
> How would the deny in MAIL FROM prevent the exploit? What I have understand is that there is exploit in the SNI of the TLS negotiation, thus the whole connect attempt must be rejected right?

The variables are available *after* the TLS negotiation is done.
For TLS-on-connect (mostly port 465) I suppose, the HELO ACL will have
them already. (Not the CONNECT ACL, since it is triggered right after
the TCP connect, IMHO - but about that fact I'm not sure, I need to read
the source or the docs.)

The STARTTLS ACL isn't a good candidate too, as it is called right after
receiving the STARTTLS command - so, no handshake yet.

The HELO ACL doesn't help either, as the first EHLO comes before
STARTTLS, and the second EHLO doesn't have to come, the client may send

    EHLO
        <--- 250
    STARTTLS
        <--- 220
    MAIL FROM
        <--- 250

So from what I understand, the MAIL FROM is the first point, where we
can kick in and theck the SNI and the peer's CN.

Yes, you *could* check it in the HELO ACL, but as you can't rely on the
2nd EHLO you need to check in the MAIL ACL anyway.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann