[exim] Generated address leaks in 'message/delivery-status' …

Author: Christian Mäder
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Generated address leaks in 'message/delivery-status' despite enabling 'hide_child_in_errmsg'
Hi

I'm using Exim to redirect email. I've set 'hide_child_in_errmsg' so that the target-email address does not leak. But it still does.

In the example below, the mail server MX.DESTINATION is handling the mails destined to the domain DESTINATION and forwards any message to INBOX@ACTUAL-DESTINATION.

It happened that ACTUAL-DESTINATION was not reachable for a while, so Exim wasn't able to deliver the message and created a bounce message:

// headers removed

--1561484314-eximdsn-33613

  an undisclosed address
    (generated from ORIGINAL@DESTINATION)

--1561484314-eximdsn-33613

Reporting-MTA: dns; MX.DESTINATION

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;INBOX@ACTUAL-DESTINATION

--1561484314-eximdsn-33613

// original message removed

Now, I would like to prevent INBOX@ACTUAL-DESTINATION from being leaked to somebody by Exim. (How) can I achieve that? Could this be considered a bug? Because I expected enabling 'hide_child_in_errmsg' to do exactly what I wanted.

Thanks,
Chris