Re: [exim] just been hacked, could be CVE-2019-10149?

Author: Calum Mackay
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] just been hacked, could be CVE-2019-10149?
Thanks Marius,

Yes indeed, no argument at all. I've been involved in UNIX security for
30 years (and so should have known better anyway).

Luckily, in this case, the script-kiddies efforts seem naive, and they
weren't even able to succeed in opening up SSH access, despite having
root and attempting it.

They made some effort to change mtimes of files changed, but forgot, or
weren't able, to also change inode ctimes, so those were, at least,
easily found.

It's not likely all that was a charade, hiding some more sophisticated
hacking but, as you say, it's impossible to be sure.

good points!

cheers,
calum.