Re: [exim] spool format error: size

Author: exim-users
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] spool format error: size
Hi Magnus,

appreciate that you plan to look into this issue.

On 22.04.19 18:11, Magnus Holmgren via Exim-users wrote:
>> I ran into this issue some weeks ago after updating to latest LTS Ubuntu
>> (Exim 4.90.1-1ubuntu1). Tracked this down to sa-exim which is screwing
>> up things as soon as more than one message is delivered over one
>> connection. By looking at the spool files I saw that random data was
>> missing/inserted.

> I'm trying to figure this out so that the next Debian release can have
> local_scan enabled again, but haven't been able to reproduce it so far. I
> thought it must have to do with CHUNKING and spool_wireformat, since that's
> new, but the error only indicates a broken -H file, doesn't it (errno =
> ERRNO_SPOOLFORMAT is set by spool_read_header())? Was body rewriting even
> enabled when breakage occurred? If it only happens when receving more than one
> message over the same connection, that would seem to suggest that some static
> variable isn't reset properly, but I can't find any.

spool_wireformat did not trigger it in my case (running Ubuntu 18.04,
without spool_wireformat enabled). I was able to reproduce it with
following setup:
Exim 4.90.1-1ubuntu1 with sa-exim running on one hosts (Ubuntu standard
config with TLS enabled, sa-exim adding some headers) acting as
smarthost, second Exim generating mail (store some 10+ messages in queue
and trigger delivery via e.g. "exim4 -qff") and using that smarthost. As
soon as more than one message was delivered via one connection, files
got corrupted (not in every delivery but with a chance of about 10-20%,
iirc). From my tests, it seems that some random data was written to the
file (sometimes other parts of the message, sometimes other stuff).

I could dig up some old backups and provide you with my config, if you
are not able to reproduce it.

Best regards,
Thomas