[exim] Matching RFC 2047 encoded text

Author: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: [exim] Matching RFC 2047 encoded text
An unwanted message arrived to my mailbox with the following Subject:

    Subject: =?UTF-8?B?VXMgY29uZ3Jlc3MgaGVhcmluZyBvZiBtYWFuIGFsc2FhbiBNb25leSBsYXVuZHJ5INmC?=
        =?UTF-8?B?2LbZitipINin2YTZg9mI2YbYutis2LHYsyDZhNi62LPZitmEINin2YTYo9mF2YjYp9mEINmE2YTZhdmE?=
        =?UTF-8?B?2YrYp9iv2YrYsSDZhdi52YYg2KfZhNi12KfZhti5?=

Try decoding it yourself if you dare ;-) I have a rule in my .forward
file (functioning as an Exim filter) which _should have_ matched the
ASCII part of the decoded material. That rule looks like

if $h_subject: matches ${readfile{$home/.spamey-subjects}{|}}

{...drop into seldom-read spambox...}

and I know it works with all the other, less exotic, lines in
~/.spamey-subjects. But it didn't in this case, so what happened? Note
that the expansion is "$h_subject:" and not any of its raw siblings, so
I believe it should in fact expand to the decoded form. Right? Also
the condition is "matches" and not "MATCHES", so case shouldn't matter.
Right? What else could it stop from working?