Re: [exim] anti-spam pointers please

Author: Richard Jones
To: Rory Campbell-Lange via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] anti-spam pointers please
On Apr 02, Richard Jones via Exim-users wrote
> I've had much more success with other techniques, greylisting,
> zen.spamhaus.org, delayed HELO, and fail2ban.
>
> Very little then gets through the spamassassin, and it deals with the
> rest.

Here are some metrics for you, logs run from the start of the year:

# Number of successful connections
grep "H=" /var/log/exim4/mainlog | wc -l
26046

# Spam messages as scored over 2.0 by SA
grep "Spam message" /var/log/exim4/mainlog | wc -l
38

# Messages blocked by Spamhaus
grep "zen.spamhaus.org" /var/log/exim4/mainlog | wc -l
710

Connection attempts blocked by Fail2Ban
IMAP: 52361
Exim: 24395
Exim+: 7545

The last one is my own exim rules and catches honey-pot addresses,
previous spam hosts, previous spamhaus catches, and SPF hard fails.
It's purpose is mostly to keep my logs cleaner.

Thanks,

junix.systems/privacy