Re: [exim] anti-spam pointers please

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] anti-spam pointers please
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 11:27, Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@???>
wrote:

> On 02/04/19, Odhiambo Washington via Exim-users (exim-users@???)
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 22:12, Rory Campbell-Lange via Exim-users <
> > exim-users@???> wrote:
> >
> > > It's some years since I've spent time tweaking my exim setup to receive
> > > spam. I've forgotten any skills I might once have had in this area.
>
> > Hello Rory,
> >
> > Long time!
> >
> > Lately, you can also substitute rspamd for SpamAssassin.
> > I hope you are also doing rDNS checks. They help me block many spammers
> too.
>
> Hi Odhiambo. Lovely to receive an email from you after all these years!
>
> I've spent some time looking at the rspamd website following your
> mention of it. I'll turn to that if I can't improve my spamassassin
> performance!
>
> For RDNS do you recommend something along the lines of
>
>         drop    message     = REJECTED - Sender Verify Failed and no RDNS
>                         log_message = REJECTED - Sender Verify Failed and
> no RDNS
>                         !verify = reverse_host_lookup
>                         !verify = sender/callout=2m,defer_ok
>                         !condition =  ${if eq{$sender_verify_failure}{}}

> (reference https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/Verification)
>
> Kind regards
> Rory

Hi Rory,

Yes, you can do that, but I would actually split the test into two for
clarity in logging.

deny message       = REJECTED - rDNS Verify Failed
        log_message = rDNS fail for $sender_host_address
# check only port 25, not users submitting on port 587
        condition       = ${if eq{$interface_port}{25}}
        !verify            = reverse_host_lookup

I would do the sender verification check separately:

deny    message      = REJECTED - Sender Verify Failed
          log_message = REJECTED - Sender Verify Failed for $sender_address
          !verify            = sender/callout=2m,defer_ok,
          !condition      =  ${if eq{$sender_verify_failure}{}}

YMMV.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,