Re: [exim] Spam though my server

Author: Mark Elkins
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spam though my server
I run a "relay" server for my e-mail clients - so they can send out
e-mail from any network they are connected to (so useful for travelling
laptops). This machine runs only on port 587, uses authentication (same
password as for their POP3/IMAP account) - etc etc.

Some nefarious people are continuously trying to discover valid username
and password combos. Once they do - they flood that account with SPAM.
Much bounces back to my clients - whom after a few days tell me (delayed
due to embarrassment?) Often, these "scans" are being done in what looks
like quite a random way, from multiple IP addresses and reasonably
infrequently - say once a minute.

What can you do? Not everyone uses my relay - so I have a flag that
needs to be first switched on for the relay authentication to work. I
also insist that passwords are reasonably long and not based on the
username. I build a list every few months and check it. I guess the next
step is to insist the password is changed periodically.

Lastly, users often use the same password for multiple purposes and
every now and then, there is a mass breach at some company. These
nefarious people use that info to also break into my mail servers.
Lastly, my customers are human and may be duped into giving out their
password with social engineering. All these are good reasons for forcing
periodical password changes.

I also scan for undelivered e-mail on the relay server - a sure sign
something is broken.

I should probably have some EXIM scripts that count repetitive failures,
both at login authentication and delivery (failure) by a user, and use
that to do automatic blocking and reporting. Lena probably has a
solution for that.

:One would need to collect a time, IP address and user for these
failures. Blocking just IP addresses may not be enough.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje@???       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496