[exim] postmaster addresses was The Google Lie

Author: Cyborg
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] postmaster addresses was The Google Lie
Am 13.02.19 um 11:36 schrieb Niels Dettenbach via Exim-users:
> rfcs. Without DKIM i'm not sure as i did not tested that yet - but
> without
> DKIM it seems difficult to get a "reliable" email service up today.

not really. The best you can do is : not to relay messages for domains
to gmail and others.

This will reduce problems with gmail & co  to a minimum.

But, customers are liking gmails webmail, for what i don't have any
explanation,
as it's worse than roundcube. (RC is fine \o/ )

> From my experience, GMail doesn't require DMARC or SPF from senders, but it
> could help shifting reputation for mail services where it may makes sense..

SPF makes entirely sense, is easy to setup and easy to maintain if your
not google yourself.
There is no good reason to not use it nor to make an entry for your domain.

> For higher volumes GMail offers a "GMail Postmaster Account" where Postmasters
> can "list" their mailservers which send to GMail - Google seems to use this
> as a "abuse contact" too (which many mailservers did not really have yet but
> "should" by rfc).

"Postmaster@" if you want spam all day long, which you have to read, to
filter out that one
important message a year/or in life that gets send to it ..  it's your
wasted lifetime.

I can understand anyone, not to receive messages via abuse@ or
webmaster@ or postmaster@,
as letting it bounce with a 550 and let that one-in-a-lifetime-user use
you contact-email from your webpage,
seems to be a fair way to deal with that "should" (even if it would be a
"must").

best regards,
Marius