Re: [exim] ${address: foo(comment)@bar.org}

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] ${address: foo(comment)@bar.org}
Hmm… There does seem to be an oddity. Jasen gave a link to an "extreme
example" included in the RFC:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#appendix-A.5

Trying this in various forms using Exim 4.90.1 on Ubuntu shows up some
interesting things:

exim -v -be '${address:Pete(A nice chap) <pete@???>}'

gives pete@???

exim -v -be '${address:Pete(A nice \) chap) <pete@???>}'
gives the empty string, suggesting Exim thinks it's a parse error

exim -v -be '${address:Pete(A nice chap) <pete(his account)@silly.test(his
host)>}'

gives pete(his account)@silly.test(his host)

>From the RFC's description I think it's expecting all to yield

pete@???
The same "extreme example" has some even more fiendish addresses in the
samples To and Cc headers which I've not tried.

Incidentally, the first couple of times I tried the above I forget to wrap
the address within ${address: … } and the result was Exim generating a
PANIC:

exim -v -be 'Pete(A nice chap) <pete(his account)@silly.test(his host)>'
gives

LOG: PANIC
Exim configuration error in line 1590 of /etc/exim4/exim4.conf:
malformed macro definition

where line 1590 is the final line of my exim4.conf file (a comment). Trying
this again with the -d+all option reveals nothing helpful. Is this another
issue?

Cheers,
Mike B-)