Re: [exim] NFSv4: failed to set ownership on spool file

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] NFSv4: failed to set ownership on spool file
On 2019-01-29 at 10:30 +0100, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:
> - The tcpdump show a V4 SETATTR, but only for the owner (I'd have
> expected the group too), AND the owner is numerical, not user@domain,
> as I would have expected. The pcap file is attached.

It's showing a GETATTR, not a SETATTR, according to my tcpdump. I just
installed:
tcpdump version 4.9.2
libpcap version 1.9.0-PRE-GIT
and that's unchanged.

NFS request xid 281459612 216 getattr fh 0,0/22
NFS reply xid 281459612 reply ok 64 getattr ERROR: Permission denied
(connection close)

As to what to expect: there's what the protocol allows, and there's what
the OS supports. I'm not an NFSv4 expert, the last time I used NFS
professionally with email it was v3, but even there we had READDIR vs
READDIRPLUS and _how_ does the OS decide what to do?

In this case, GETATTR with major/minor devices of 0 and file descriptor
22 is issued, then you get permission denied on just the getattr, so the
OS isn't getting as far as failing at the chown (or this happened
after the chown? Incomplete trace, can't tell.)

-Phil