[exim] dlfunc yield value protocol

Author: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: [exim] dlfunc yield value protocol
It is unclear to me how I can yield any "interesting" string from a
${dlfunc ..} expansion, because apparently the main exim program doesn't
try to free the store to which the _yield_ variable points. The only
example I have seen of actual dlfunc use is [1], and it only yields
constant strings. So 2 questions:

1. Where can I find other examples of dlfunc use?

2. How can I yield a general, variable string (which implies it needs to
be freed) ?

[1]
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiki/Exim/exim/attachments/exim-ext-grey.c.txt