[exim] (no subject)

Author: Rob Gunther
Subject: [exim] (no subject)
We are accepting mail for customer domains, then delivering the mail using
Exim to the customer server. Customer servers can be anywhere, as long as
it answers to SMTP requests.

Come across a problem, two users hosted by Google.

Customer 1 has somehow added IP restrictions in the Google platform to only
accept mail from specific IP addresses. He has messed up and not added one
of our IP addresses to the list, so google rejects the message deliveries
with:

421 4.7.0 IP not in whitelist for RCPT domain, closing connection.

We have Exim put the message back into the delivery queue for a retry later.

Customer 2 has no such restriction so mail can be delivered to his Google
hosted email just fine.

Both customers are having us deliver their mail to: ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

It looks like this is causing issues for Exim, as Customer 2 mail is
spending a lot of time in the queue. Exim thinks the retry time has not
passed, so it just holds the mail.

Am I correct in assuming Exim is tracking the server status by the
destination server name? Just ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. If we are getting those
421 errors back, Exim pauses delivery attempts for a while.

Exim does not seem to track the domain/destination server as the
combination for tracking server outages or issues etc.

Is there any way to have it not retry for Customer 1, but Customer 2 would
have its own status retained by Exim... so customer 1 can't impact customer
2 delivery speed.

Regards,

Robert