Re: [exim] How to spell a regexp with a space in an Exim fil…

Autor: Ian Zimmerman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How to spell a regexp with a space in an Exim filter?
On 2019-01-19 19:20, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> The docs give examples which appear to cover your needs:
> quotes on the outside and you don't appear to need \N
> (but you'd have to write it with doubled \ and within
> the quotes, if you did need it eg. to manage $-signs).
>
> I'm looking at
>
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/filter_ch-exim_filter_files.html
>
> section 22. Perhaps you didn't find that?

I had found that section, but those examples have no spaces in the
regex. And indeed my real pattern contains $, so that is part of the
problem. Meanwhile I found a workaround with character classes, like
this:

\NFoo[[:blank:]]*[bB]ar\N

(or any more perlish way of saying "blank").

Still, I think this aspect of the syntax is disappointing. I suggest a
new feature: a superquote (for example \Q) which has the powers of
_both_ \N and '"'.

Thanks for your help.