Re: [exim] setting up exim4 to send mail through r4l.com

Author: Gary Dale
To: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] setting up exim4 to send mail through r4l.com [RESOVLED]
Subject: Re: [exim] setting up exim4 to send mail through r4l.com
On 2019-01-06 2:51 p.m., Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 06/01/2019 19:34, Gary Dale via Exim-users wrote:
>> You've missed the point. My e-mail smarthost uses 587 for unencrypted
>> connections but 465 for encrypted. Using Thunderbird with ssl/tls on
>> port 465 works. It's the Exim4 (encrypted) configuration I need help
>> with.
> Oh, right. You're using Exim as a client here. So it's the transport
> configuration that matters:
>
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_smtp_transport.html#SECID146
>
> For the relevant transport in your config you'll need to
> set the "protocol" option to "smtps" to get TLS-on-connect.
> Quite where that is in you Debian-derived config I can't tell you.
> I'd not be at all surprised if the Debian configurator front-end
> knows about the possibility.

Yes. I forgot to mention that I've done that too. I added it to
exim4.conf.template then re-ran the configure and restarted the service.
Still no joy.

Got a connection to the remote host using:

    openssl s_client -connect smtp -crlf -connect <sub>.r4l.com:465

From there I was able to login and send an e-mail (once I'd figured out
that I needed to follow the helo with an ehlo). The connection showed
the remote server's certificate information so I think it was encrypted.

This brings me back to the exim4 configuration. I tried putting

    REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_REQUIRE_TLS = *

in the exim4.conf.localmacros file so that the section

    .ifdef REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_REQUIRE_TLS
      hosts_require_tls = REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_REQUIRE_TLS
      protocol = smtps
    .endif

would be triggered in exim4.conf.template but when I look in
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated, the section is simply copied (with
the enclosing .ifdef...endif) making me wonder if it is being run.
However the line from .localmacros is copied at the top, so it should
be. I guess the file is interpreted rather than simply being loaded by
the exim4 service.

At any rate, I think I've got everything right but I can't get it to
actually send mail...

Any idea?