Re: [exim] Replies to mailer-daemon@

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Replies to mailer-daemon@
On 2018-12-04, Marius Stan via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm having a rather legitimate request from my users:
>
> An order confirmation is being generated by a web app,  having the
> sender webshop@???.
>
> The customer might need some more info and hits reply to the email
> above. Only the webshop's mailbox happens to be full, so the customer
> eventually gets the following bounce from my mail server, with the
> sender set as mailer-daemon@???:

That would be the From: header, the envelope sender will be empty.

> webshop@???
> mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded
>
> And here comes my problem:
>
> The customer doesn't actually read the error message, he/she just hits
> reply one more time, again requesting some data about his order.

install a bot to respond to mail sent to mailer-daemon. it could be
"vacation" or something more elaborate.

> Is there a way I can make exim differentiate between "legit" bounces to
> postmaster and these gratuitous replies ? Maybe look for empty return
> path before accepting emails to postmaster ? Is this within the canons ?

no. don't - the bad mail is addressed to mailer-daemon adjust your
/etc/aliases file so that it doesn't reach postmaster.

> How would you guys handle this situations ?

Another option is just not to accept email to that address, postmaster
is required by SMTP. mailer-daemon is not. It sometimes gets useful
customer feedback but mostly it gets noise.