[exim] Design question: cleaning up/restricting From: and Re…

Author: Tim Watts
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Design question: cleaning up/restricting From: and Reply-To: headers to valid domains on outbound mail
Hi,

Router condition or systemfilter?

The latter works - I just wondered if it was considered the "best" way?

Here's a snippet of the system filter I have:

if
     not $h_from matches "(@example.com)" and
     not $h_from matches "(@mydept.example.com)" and
     not $h_from matches "(@lists.mydept.example.com)"
then
     fail text "Malformed From: header"
endif

For reasons of professionalism, I want to ensure that outbound emails
leaving my system contain From: or Reply-To: (and Envelope) domains that
match a limited list that I am responsible for.

I'll be arranging to collect these fails for debugging - either by
appending to a file or bouncing to postmaster (me).

This is not a "user email" system - there's no debate about the ethics
of rewriting Reply-To headers etc - these emails are either root mail or
system and application generated email originating from systems I am
responsible for.

One of the reasons is to catch any old apps that are sending malformed
email.

--
Tim Watts