Re: [pcre-dev] (*SKIP:NAME) when (*MARK:NAME) is in assertio…

Author: ND
To: Pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] (*SKIP:NAME) when (*MARK:NAME) is in assertion
On 2018-07-13 07:23, ph10 wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, ND via Pcre-dev wrote:
>> And one more thing should also be clarified in docs:
> > MARK name unlike MARK position is saved outside assertion or atomic
> group:
>The MARK position *is* saved; it's just that there is never a backtrack
> into an atomic group, so that data is never accessed. But I'll take a
> look at the wording again.

The SKIP verb don't need backtracking after it fires: there is bumpalong
and new match. If MARK position is saved then there is no problem for
engine to discard current matching and start new matching at saved
position without any backtracking. Isn't it?

So may be not impossibility of backtracking into atomic group is the
reason of current behavior. May be Perl compatibility is it?