Re: [exim] Moving a queue to another server

Author: Chris Siebenmann
To: Christian K
CC: exim-users, cks
Subject: Re: [exim] Moving a queue to another server
> I am wondering if there is a good way to move all pending mails from
> one exim server to another.
> It is probably not the best idea to move the files from one spool
> directory to another (idea 1).

For what it's worth, we've historically done exactly this for mail
server migrations (eg to a host with a newer OS release). We'll shut
down Exim on both hosts, then move over pretty much the entire mail
spool. I think the only problems we've sometimes had was needing to
reset the retry database(s). This does require a downtime on both
sides, though, and we've always been moving to a destination host where
the spool was empty (and in fact was disposable).

    - cks