Re: [exim] Bounce Back Envelope From

Author: Jan Ingvoldstad
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bounce Back Envelope From
On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM, Bill Cole via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2018, at 15:30, David Cunningham via Exim-users wrote:
>

>> I am using a smart host that will not accept emails from <>.
>>

> Are you convinced that "smart" is the right word here? I'm quite certain
> it is not. Maybe you meant "grossly misconfigured outbound relay" instead?

I think another issue to keep in mind is that certain broken e-mail clients
also send messages with the empty envelope sender in response to spam. "I'm
on vacation", "This message has been read", "This message has been deleted".

Maybe the "smarthost" is for end-user e-mail clients, and not for servers,
and therefore has stricter rules in order to avoid these issues?

--
Jan