Re: [exim] Exclude TLS_RSA_WITH_SEED_CBC_SHA from cipher lis…

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exclude TLS_RSA_WITH_SEED_CBC_SHA from cipher list
Could I ask a possibly radical question of the list?

Firstly, I fully appreciate that a number of older encryption protocols and
ciphers are very weak. So *preferring* stronger ones over the weaker ones
has a clear benefit.

But given that most MTA to MTA traffic uses *opportunistic* encryption,
falling back to cleartext transfers if no encryption can be agreed between
the servers, isn't it better to continue to offer and use in such
situations a weak cipher than none at all? That is, weak encryption of a
message is better than none at all?

The exceptions being, of course, scenarios like:

- you require your incoming MTA to MTA traffic to arrive over an
encrypted connection and reject messages arriving in cleartext, or
- for MUA to MSA submissions as authentication credentials are usually
involved.

Cheers,
Mike B-)