Re: [exim] How to rewrite From: header of offsite forwards o…

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to rewrite From: header of offsite forwards only to prevent Amazon SES 554 error
Be careful if you plan to start rewriting the RFC5322.From header. If the
message has had a DKIM signature applied to it that header's content will
almost certainly be covered by the signature to detect
tampering/alterations such as you're proposing, and you'll be invalidating
it; this might give you problems delivering to sites that validate DKIM
signatures. So you'll likely have to sign it again yourself, possibly also
using ARC to confirm the authenticity chain.

Without knowing your situation it sounds like you're trying to do the same
sort of thing as mailing lists do: send out messages originating from
senders (list contributors) from arbitrary domains? You have to be careful
with these, especially if the sender's domain has a DMARC policy other than
"none" in place. This requires the one or both of the standard SPF and DKIM
tests to pass *and* for the domain being considered to align with that in
the RFC5321.From header in order for DMARC to consider it an acceptable
pass. Modern mailing list manager software handles this by rewriting the
RFC5322.From header to use its own domain, which it can then DKIM-sign it
using its own keys.

In passing, SRS rewrites the RFC5321.MailFrom address (sender address in
the SMTP envelope) not the RFC5322.From or Sender headers. Any change to
the Sender header will likely be a byproduct, I think.

Cheers,
Mike B-)