Re: [exim-dev] Exim 4.91 RC1

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-dev
CC: Viktor Dukhovni
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Exim 4.91 RC1
On 2018-03-18 at 00:47 -0400, Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-dev wrote:
> You may find the notes for the below commits to OpenSSL 1.1.0 and upcoming
> 1.1.1 useful for building alternate versions of OpenSSL "on the side":
>
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/822b5e2645a99bea15329bd66c9723c7e7119cdb
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/e6f38fb817d831ed093f7d7140325783b5556d8f

Thanks, but I'm hoping that's unnecessary. For ours, the only concern I
had was libmysqlclient, used for Bugzilla integration, but that doesn't
reference openssl. So the existing Exim hints on installing OpenSSL
have worked to date and I'd hope they'd continue to work: if they break,
that would be a frustrating regression.

https://git.exim.org/exim.git/blob/HEAD:/doc/doc-txt/openssl.txt

This is what we supply to postmasters as documentation and is designed
to play nice with OpenSSL's policies, while dealing with people
complaining about Exim breaking support for OpenSSL 0.9.8 or whatever.
(I think we're still probably compatible, but it's absolutely not a bug
if we break compatibility).

The only thing I'd really like is for pkg-config to support RPATH
stamping sanely, without our needing the additional override. :)

-Phil