Re: [exim] Possibly unclear logging after connection is clos…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Possibly unclear logging after connection is closed by the far end during DELAY
On 27/12/17 16:24, Sebastian Arcus via Exim-users wrote:
> I've spotted this while investigating issues with DELAY in in acl's, in
> my other recent thread. It would seem that if a DROP acl has a long
> DELAY set, and if during that DELAY the remote end just gets fed up and
> closes the connection, Exim somehow still treats this as the ACL
> processing has succeed and writes appropriate messages to the log and
> claims the ACL worked. This can be somewhat confusing.

You're effectively asking the delay= to be handled as an ACL condition,
the result being whether it reaches the end of its defined time without
being preempted by external forces. Currently is is not a condition,
it is an ACL _modifier_.

I don't think we care enough to change it, really. Actually spotting
that the SMTP connection went away was a bonus added long after the
genesis of the delay= modifier... and the result is the same; you
had decided to drop the connection, the connection is dropped. The
success of the ACL verb is not really relevant. The handling process
goes away a bit quicker now, which I assume is preferred.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy