Re: [exim] TLS error in incoming emails from *.outlook.com

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS error in incoming emails from *.outlook.com
On 27/11/17 12:30, Andreas Bauer via Exim-users wrote:
> 2017-11-27 13:22:55
> TLS error on connection from mail-oln040092070016.outbound.protection.outlook.com (EUR03-AM5-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com) [40.92.70.16] (send): The specified session has been invalidated for some reason.
> 2017-11-27 13:23:46
> 1eJILV-0001Gg-K3 TLS error on connection from mail-oln040092071027.outbound.protection.outlook.com (EUR03-DB5-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com) [40.92.71.27] (recv): Error in the pull function.
>
> It seems only this specific server will fail to connect with TLS with "Error in the pull function". This is the only occasion where we see this message, everything else works fine.
>
> Does someone have an idea how to troubleshoot this, or even how to work around this?

a)
Run your daemon with debug enabled - either for everything (writes to
stderr), or enabled in connect ACL (so you can do it for just one
sender host; and it goes to a file). If your Exim is built with GnuTLS
see also the GNUTLS_DEBUG_LEVEL environment variable; small integers
greater than zero for library debug output).

b)
Fire up wireshark, grab from the interface corresponding to the expected
inbound, filtering by that IP (for either src or dest).

Wait until a retry has appeared, then stop the capture. Have a look at
the tail end of the conversation; possibly the sequence there may
help. No certainty.

--
Cheers,
Jeremy