Re: [exim] Exim and MySQL with UTF-8 encoding

Author: John C Klensin
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim and MySQL with UTF-8 encoding

--On Thursday, November 9, 2017 14:10 +0000 Jeremy Harris
<jgh@???> wrote:

> On 08/11/17 21:15, Yves Goergen wrote:
>> But the problem is that Exim doesn't talk to the MySQL server
>> with UTF-8 so it prevents using all that stuff. Instead, it
>> uses some 8-bit encoding. I can see this in the reply
>> message: It contains parts like =FC for "ü" where it should
>> be at least two bytes.
>
> That "=FC" might be an RFC-2047 encoded byte, perhaps?

Not likely. RFC 2047 encoded words are required to make the
charset and encoding explicit so, if this is really a bare
"=FC", it isn't one of those.

If it really represents a single-octet ("8-bit") encoding, my
guess given some history I wish we were more over, that it is
ISO/IEC 8859-1, which would make the character "ü" and require
only a single octet.

> Lowercase 'U' with umlaut appears to be Unicode U+00FC.

Yes. And also 8859-1 code point FC, i.e., x'FC' as a single
octet. That relationship between Unicode and 8859-1 is not a
coincidence but confusing the two leads misleading conclusions.

john