Re: [exim] 4 issues to fix

Author: Phil Pennock
To: The Doctor
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4 issues to fix
On 2017-10-06 at 13:32 -0600, The Doctor wrote:
> 1)
> 2017-10-06 12:55:36 1e0XmX-0000Ww-I2 failed to read delivery status for *******@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca from delivery subprocess

The child process has terminated without writing status back to the
parent. It has probably crashed. Is dmesg reporting crashed Exim
processes?

Which version of Exim? Any patches? How configured?

> 2)
> I have to push e-mail through every 3 to 5 minutes using a cron job.
>
> Why is the e-mail simply not flowing?

Because the delivery process is dying.

> 3)
> I do not wish to see sendmail from account@realdomain ; it should be
> at account@custoemrdomain . How do I rewrite?

This is a large topic. How about you tell us where you got in

https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-address_rewriting.html

and what parts are causing you problems, so that we can help you and fix
the documentation to better help others in future?

> 4)
>
> Outlook.com is getting a relay not permitted notice on the outgoing exim server.
>
> What gives?

To be clear: a server under your control is returning "relay not
permitted" to Outlook, for a domain which it should be accepting?

My first suspicion is that DNS is configured to point the domain at your
servers but you haven't configured it as a local-domain or
relay-for-domain in either of the relevant domainlists.

-Phil