Re: [exim-dev] feature request for exim: query DNSBL provide…

Author: Viktor Dukhovni
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] feature request for exim: query DNSBL providers' DNS servers directly

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 4:39 PM, Rob McEwen <rob@???> wrote:
>
> Given such a tiny amount of time of the caching, and the fact that this would be limited in scope to only DNSBLs for which the exim admin goes out of their way to implement this feature - I highly doubt that there would be that much added memory or CPU overhead resulting from such a feature - and it would be totally innocuous to everyone else who didn't choose to use this feature.
>
> If you don't particularly care for this feature (should it ever be implemented) simply don't go out of your way to use it!

Adding a cache to the Exim server would be rather non-trivial,
because the Exim SMTP server is stateless. IIRC Each connection
is handled by a separate process. It still seems to me that the
problem is best solved by making it trivial to deploy the desired
nameserver configuration, without changing Exim.

As for me, I don't use Exim, I mostly just lurk on this and the
users list, and respond just to questions about TLS and DANE, but
DNS is also rather close to my area of expertise, so I decided to
delurk in this thread.

The real Exim developers will decide what they want to do with or
without my opinion...

--
    Viktor.