Re: [exim] Exim4 skips SpamAssassin if attachments are too b…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 skips SpamAssassin if attachments are too big
On 29/08/17 22:03, Paul Lenz wrote:
> (Debian))
>     id 1dknc6-0006nP-BB
>     for <[[MY_ADDRESS]]>; Thu, 24 Aug 2017 10:35:42 +0200

> but they are not scanned and there are no entries made by SpamAssassin.
>
> I tried to find solutions in a Debian forum, but nobody could help me.
>
> - Why are those e-mails skipped?
>
> - How comes "spam-scanned" into the header if the e-mail was not scanned?
>
> - Is there a size limit which I can change?

I don't know what flow the Deb config for Exim sets up, but I'd guess
messages are received first by exim, passed to SA, and resubmitted to
exim using a commandline-submission specifying a "protocol" called
"spam-scanned". If so you'll see a previous Received: header for
the initial reception (probably just underneath that one, textually;
check the timestamp in them).

If so: it's up to the configuration of SA. There's likely a max size
of message it wants to scan, as scanning is expensive. I don't know
if there's a knob you can twiddle or not, but that that's the place to
look.

> - If there is no solution - how can I include a small self-written Perl
> script as additional filter?

Naturally. Exim is infinitely flexible. You may well end up reading
quite a lot of docs to work out how, mind...

(hints: data ACL, the ${perl } string-expansion, the $message_exim_id
and $spool_directory variables)

--
Cheers,
Jeremy