Re: [exim] Retiring old build targets

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retiring old build targets
On 30/07/17 17:32, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> What does "retiring" mean ?

The target-specific build files in src/OS - a makefile, an "os.c" and an
"os.h" - have been moved to a subdir. There's a README explaining the
position.

> If it means inserting something early in the build system
> that prints a suitable
>      exim is completely unsupported on <OS name here>
> warning and aborts, I'm happy.

You'll get a message like that if you just type "make".

> If it means removing currently working build infrastructure
> from platforms that others are patching and maintaining,
> then I'm not so happy.

It has that effect. However, for as long as we over here haven't heard
from any of these people, I'm uncomfortable with presenting the illusion
that these assorted platforms are indeed being patched and maintained.

> Whilst I understand that passing a comprehensive test suite is
> a reasonable requirement for supporting a package like exim,
> which has substantial security exposure and other system-wide risks,
> there is some margin for leaving in code for unsupported platforms
> if there is reason to believe that it works and is maintainable.

We have no such reason-to-believe. Unfortunately. I wish we did.
--
Jeremy